Friday, June 3, 2011

Caleb {totally epic}


My newborn baby is getting older.  I know he's 7 now, but sometimes, when the light is just right, and he looks at me in that certain way, and perhaps I'm feeling a bit nostalgic, I still see this.


But time marches on.
Now he squirms away when I try to hug him and his favorite word is "epic".  
Everything is "epic", "totally epic", or sometimes even "epically epic".
He's growing up before my eyes.  And that's exactly why I'm o.k. with it.  I get to watch God's plans for him unfold as the years go by.  I have a front row seat and I feel so blessed to be a part of this boy's life.  He's pretty amazing and I could not be more proud of him!

The past couple of weeks have held some big events for Caleb.  

The first was his Spring concert at school.  After we watched the show, we got to tour his classroom and see all of the fine arts projects that he's been working on.  My favorite was this letter that he wrote to Jesus. 



Yes, he called Jesus epic and thanked him for Subway (his favorite restaurant).  Nice.  I did think it was sweet that he thought of his new little cousin!

Looks like we'll be working on penmanship.  The crazy kid is testing years ahead of his grade level, but he's lazy about handwriting.  Sigh...we'll get there. 
 I'm pretty sure his second grade teacher will require VERY nice handwriting....
since it will be ME! 
Most of you have probably already heard, but we are planning to start homeschooling next year.  
For a few different reasons, but mainly because as I mentioned above, we have a smart little cookie on our hands (definitely got those genes from Paul) and he wasn't being challenged at his current school (which we love, but if we're going to pay that much for private school, it needs to be pretty perfect).
SO...a new adventure begins!  He's really excited and so am I.  I'm sure you'll be hearing all about it when the new school year rolls around.  This summer we will be redoing our office to make it our classroom, so I'll be sure to post pics!

He will continue to be in lots of extracurricular activities, like CUB SCOUTS!
He just finished his first year and he loved every minute of it.
We got to go to a BBQ celebration where he "graduated" to the next level.



He's into Star Wars, ninjas, baseball, reading, biking, Legos, and outdoor survival among many other things. :)

And while he may pretend that he doesn't like my hugs, he will sometimes put his arm around me or lean his head on my shoulder completely out of the blue.  I of course play it cool, but on the inside I'm shouting "YES!" and my heart bursts.  He still loves me, he still thinks I'm epic.   

2 comments:

  1. Love the post and how he's swimming in those newborn clothes. It goes way too fast. Tell Caleb I think he is totally epic too!!! The letter to Jesus was so sweet. xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a guy! One of my three favorite boys on this planet. Epic is right.

    ReplyDelete