Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Happy Birthday Caleb!

This past weekend was filled with fun as we celebrated Caleb's 5th Birthday!! It was great to have family and friends join us in our festivities. Paul's parents, Dave and Brenda, along with his sister, Andrea and her boyfriend, Sam flew all the way from California for the big event! We all had a great time and I know that this was a birthday that Caleb will remember for years to come.

Caleb asked to have a Star Wars themed party this year (he's never seen the movie, but somehow still knows all of the characters). So, I decided I would make him an R2D2 cake. I was up WAY too late putting on all of the finishing touches the night before his party. I did manage to get up with him at 7:00 the next morning, just so I could see the look on his face when he saw his cake for the first time...then I went straight back to bed! He was very excited about the finished product which made it worth every minute!
Later that day we went to a place called The Creation Station where Caleb and his friends had lots of fun making different "things"...and of course they all ate lots of cake and ice cream!

Weston was in on all of the fun too! Here he is wearing a hat that Paul's mom, Brenda created. So stylish!

Even though we had a house full of company this weekend (10 guests total!), I wasn't too busy to realize that my precious Caleb is growing up too fast! I can't help but think back to the days when he had his white wispy hair and chubby cheeks, when I would rock him to sleep and sometimes hold him through an entire afternoon nap, just because I didn't want to put him down. When he would talk non-stop about anything and everything, asking me a million questions a day. When he would crawl up onto my lap and lay his head on my shoulder just because he wanted me. In my opinion, saying goodbye to these different phases of life with my kids is one of the hardest parts of being a mom.

Well, God had a special reminder in store for me...


This morning we went to the Doctor for Caleb's five-year check-up and he had to get FOUR shots! He knew this was coming and I could see him getting nervous. The nurse came in and told him to sit very still, she was going to give him two shots in each arm. She assured him that it would be o.k. if he cried, and he would get a lollipop when she was finished. He said "o.k." and she proceeded. He hardly flinched, but I could see his cheeks getting red and I knew he was putting on a brave face. She commented on what a great job he did, gave him his sucker and left the room. I started to tell him that I was so proud of him, but before I could finish my sentence, he burst into tears, crawled up onto my lap and laid his head on my shoulder. He still needs me! Thank-you God. Yep, he's still my baby.


My Precious Buddy, My Sweet Son, I Love Him!

3 comments:

  1. Beautifully written. Being a mom and wanting your kids to want and need you goes on forever, and occassionally, even when they are over 21...and even over 30 when you know they still love and need you! It's truly a gift from God that only He could create us (moms) to love so unconditionally. Sounds like Caleb celebrated his best birthday ever! mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this post! It is so true and I'm happy I'm not the only mom who is so sad at saying "goodbye" to different stages. I love all the pictures, especially some of the baby pics I have not seen before. The cake is amazing, I wish we could have been there. Caleb is truly blessed to have you as his mom. I know he knows it now, but someday when he is older he will really know it! FYI- I am totally crying right now! xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. DD- Dexter LOVES that cake...He wants one for his next birthday, how much do you charge!!!

    ReplyDelete